AVANT-GARDE x JIMMY DAVIS

Posted by Avant-Garde Online

Allow myself to introduce ….. myself. The latest addition to the Avant Garde family is Jimmy Davis. Hip Hop songwriter & producer; lover of Art, Film, Books, Poetry, and all things Music; environmentalist and activist. I also take interest in politics and current affairs but have too much heart & soul to be completely submerged in that world. The old saying goes ‘One wanders to the left, another to the right.

"Both are equally in error, but, are seduced by different delusions".

For the past 16 months I’ve been writing and recording an album. I’ve dedicated every ounce of energy and passion that I have to this project and I’m pleased to say that this is the best work I have ever completed. As any person working to realise their dream will tell you, juggling the many aspects of life around your goals and aspirations can be a balancing act. We have learnt to walk the tightest of tightropes at dizzying heights!

I’ve been composing and writing for around 9 years and can confidently say that only now do I feel that my material is good enough to present to the people. Some may think that 9 years is nothing in a creative field, some may think that it’s a long time. But if I highlight what that means in terms of finished work, we’re talking about more than 200 songs. Accompanying that figure, a couple of hundred more compositions (beats), a small library of lyric books and thousands of hours spent learning and honing the craft.

So, what’s the point I hear you say? The point is this. I feel that far too many jump on the musical bandwagon because they believe that fame, wealth and (synthetic) popularity will inevitably come their way. They call themselves singers, rappers, emcees or producers without really understanding the true meaning of those terms. They flood the digital marketplace with unoriginal, uninspiring and poor material. They create a fake persona that slowly engulfs their entire being and fills them with an even faker sense of self-worth. Image and material belongings become their obsession. They eventually forget who they truly are and their original love for music transforms into an obsession to become something completely beyond their reach. Why is it beyond their reach? Because to get somewhere in this ‘industry of music’ you have to obey a primary rule … be yourself. And I would just like to clarify that I try not to use the above phrase too often because ‘industry’ conjures images of manufacture, trade and machines … music comes from the soul … machines don’t have a soul.  Music is an art form. Like any other art form it has to be given respect, both by giver and receiver. Creator and consumer share a mutual appreciation. Creator shows gratitude for their abilities and for having this gift in their life, as well as appreciation for any praise they receive. Consumer gives their appreciation for the work whether through purchase, correspondence, or simply by giving their time to absorb the work.

Art creates harmony.

So 16 months, 40 songs, 6 featuring vocalists, and hours of work in my ‘loft studio’ later and I’m edging closer to the ‘holy grail’. However there are still 2 featuring vocalists and a gospel choir yet to record. The process has been a magical adventure. I’ve learnt so much, developed so much, embraced talent I never knew I had, put my heart and soul into writing lyrics that I hope will inspire and enthuse people. And this is just the start. 9 years and this is just the beginning! Completing a great piece of work and having a brilliant product are just the first steps on the road to achievement. Taking that product to the masses is another piece of the jigsaw that takes careful contemplation and placement. I have always envisaged only one option when considering which direction my path shall take when this piece of the jigsaw is ready to be placed. I like to call it ‘taking the leap’. There are many other names that I sometimes use for this belief; ‘going out on a limb’, ‘making it happen’, ‘risking everything’. Regardless of the name given, they all amount to one thing. And that is having the belief that no matter what the circumstances you are going to live your dream. It is knowing that as long as you give it everything you’ve got, everything will work out fine for you. There is a holy trinity of words that sum this up for me which is incidentally the title of my 1st album.

Belief, Passion, Commitment.

We must not forget that life usually requires balance. Therefore, coupled with this unquestionable faith in your abilities there must be a thorough and detailed plan. This will ensure that everything you do is effective. Your performance will always be effective because of your self-belief, but ensuring that your product is given maximum exposure is equally as important. We don’t have the money to throw at our projects that the major labels do. We don’t have PR companies at our disposal. We don’t have influence over radio stations and their playlists. But what we do have is the ability to build a steady buzz; to play gigs; to use the power of the internet to our advantage. Simple but effective use of the tools at our disposal. Determination and resilience. Key attributes in the quest for dream realisation. Honesty, integrity, humility.

Love what you do, do what you love.

Moving swiftly on to a roundup of other points of interest.

I love film. Every trip to the cinema is a fix of heavenly escapism. I don’t merely watch a film in this environment, I’m able to completely submerge myself in this visual world and with the right film the experience can be exhilarating. I’ve been to see 3 films in the last 4 weeks that have all been brilliant in their own unique way.

127 HOURS


127 Hours is the true story of an ‘outdoors enthusiast’ who embarks on his latest adventure in the canyons of Utah. This is a film by Danny Boyle whose work I’ve admired for some years. I’d heard so much about the film before I went to see it that I began to worry that this may have spoilt the experience, but far from it. Boyles ability to tell a fairly one dimensional story in a captivating way proves his directorial prowess. He puts the camera in places that keep the perspective interesting and bring you closer to the characters predicament . The claustrophobic and helpless nature of his position are conveyed excellently. James Franco delivers a stunning performance and deserves all the plaudits for his portrayal. The film also contains the most uncomfortable piece of cinema I’ve ever seen. It literally took 5 minutes before I could relax and sit in my seat comfortably again. I won’t go into detail but it was harder to watch than the abortion scene in Gaspar Noe’s Enter the Void. arthouse extravaganza, This film is human triumph in the face of sheer adversity.



 THE KINGS SPEECH


I’d also heard much about The Kings Speech and seen all of the hype surrounding the film. Regardless of the hype you can’t get away from the incredible cast involved in this movie. It also lived up to its potential. Great script and brilliantly acted. The relationship between Geoffrey Rush and Colin Firth is tense, funny, warm, fiery, and at times unbearable. It highlights beautifully that regardless of our status and background there is a connection between us all that when explored can lead to wonderful things. Colin Firth deserves an Oscar for his performance, utterly compelling.



BLACK SWAN


Natalie Portman also deserves an Oscar for her performance in Black Swan. If I had to pick a favourite of the 3 films it would be this one. Darren Aronofsky’s dark and sexually driven take on the ballet Swan Lake is a remarkable piece of film making. You’d be forgiven for thinking that this is a fairly run of the mill film for perhaps the first 40 minutes but as the movie unfolds the film gathers pace perfectly. The relationships that Portman builds with various characters almost take on their own subplot and the tension builds brilliantly. This all leads to an exhilarating climax and I can honestly say that my heart was racing during the final scenes. Anybody that sees this film will also notice that something is very cleverly interwoven in the storyline. To any male, and possibly female readers, you’ll be pleased to know that Portman partakes in some lesbian orientated sex scenes. Nice. The film also poses an interesting question in general.

Do we have to embrace our ‘dark side’ in order to shine?

Aronofsky may or may not have the answer.



I usually begin all of my blogs with the same opening lines, so as I’m now going to sign off I’ll leave you with them.

Humanity in its entirety qualifies as my extended family, therefore you are all welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read this blog and I hope you come back for more. As I’ve not spoken about any music other than my own in this edition I shall leave you with two treats. A track taken from Lupe Fiasco’s forthcoming album Lasers, released 8 March 2011,


along with the latest video from Distant Relatives Nas & Damien Marley. Great song, slick video, and one of my favourite albums of recent times. There is no denying the fact that we are all from one place. That place is Africa. The album explores, amongst other things, the idea that we are all part of the great oneness and that our heritage is deeply rooted in one place: The Motherland. Although I tend not to hold Nas in the high esteem that I once did, the production, songwriting and vibe of this LP are different class. Highly recommended.

Peace&Love

Davis



Catch more Jimmy Davis at

Subscribe: