BOGUS CLOTHING

Posted by Avant-Garde Online

BOGUS CLOTHING

Bogus Clothing is a rising street wear label based in Birmingham, focused on creating originality with a passion for the ‘Live Fast’ lifestyle. Started by Sean Powell in early 2009, Sean designed alone, focusing his energy directly to create a brand to represent the street and skate-wear scene. Bogus Clothing has since then gained support from artists such as Walex and Art Daley, skaters such as Dave Pegg, and not to mention all the locals repping his tee’s from day one. We sat down with Sean from Bogus below to talk clothing, and plans for the future…

“TIME IS OUR WORST ENEMY, BUT IS ALSO OUR GREATEST GIFT”


Question: Firstly, why the name Bogus Clothing?

People ask me that. It is a weird story. I knew I wanted to start a brand but the first task was to think of a name. After days of thinking I was at my girlfriend Demi’s house and the name jumped out at me from one of my old time favourite films bill and ted bogus adventures. BOGUS.

Question: Could you tell us a little bit about the brand and how it all started?

Well, I have been drawing all my life. After dropping out of college, apart from skateboarding, I drew all the time. I tried to get my work noticed and looked for places to take my work but there was no were and nobody to help. I loved skate tees and the designs so I thought that the only way to get anywhere with my drawings is to make it on my own. After choosing the name did a lot of research and worked throughout the nights on designs starting from scratch. I design every garment and run the brand myself.



Question: What first drew you towards clothing and apparel?

I loved clothing brands and always was on the lookout for different tees not just what everyone else was wearing at the time. That and a passion for art and design I knew I wanted to take clothing on.

Question: Which is your favourite/most successful piece?

I don’t think I have a favourite as I have done them all but if I had to chose it be the bogus logo font my first design. I knew it had to look like what I feel my brand represents; something different.

Question: Where do you get your inspiration as an artist?


I have always had a sketch pad since I was little I love to draw and create my own designs so I would say my mind is the biggest inspiration If that makes sense.

Question: What can we expect to see from Bogus in the future?

Hopefully in the next year or so have our first flagship store. Also we are on the look out for collabs so expect some big collabs coming out in the future.


Question: What brands are you wearing out at the moment?

Diamond,obey and plain tops mostly, then obviously my tees and hats.

Question: Finally, got any shout outs?
Like to shout out everyone who has supported me and the brand. Skateboards, music, pencils, sketch pads, my mac, and my girl (Demi) and for air itself.

The Bogus collection is available online here.

Subscribe: